Zig Ziglar said, “You will get all you want in life if you help enough other people get what they want”—and that’s what being a hero is all about.
You’re going to get the secrets to being a hero in Episode 14. My good friend and co-host, Dan Sullivan, and I pick up where we left off our last conversation about how as humans, we’re moving from the state of being Doers/doings and Knowers to actually being Beings … but we’re taking it a step further this time.
We’re talking breakthroughs, becoming BETTER beings, and deciding who you want to be a HERO to.
This week, we talk about encountering barriers and challenges, how we push through them, being a “hero” for others, and where we can seek improvement. I’d go so far as to say our complex world is pushing us toward another level as #SuperBeings. We’re entering into a more complex economy and complex times, so how we engage and interact with one another, society, and technology is forcing a NECESSARY evolution.
The INSTITUTIONS we once trusted are flat-out obsolete:
- Healthcare and the medical system (know anyone who loves their health insurance company?)
- Money (crypto is changing the game)
- Banking (show me someone who loves their bank or even know their banker anymore)
- Government (and the leaders who run them)
- Transportation systems
- Education (what does a college education get you these days?)
- The military (soon wars won’t be fought on a battlefield—cyber warfare is scary!)
- The media (let’s face it, CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC aren’t driven by facts or truth; they’re slaves to hype and agendas)
- Social media (soon AI and bots will create fake content designed to sway your opinion with fake people and voices indistinguishable from real life)
Here are a few of the big ideas Dan Sullivan and I explore in this episode:
- How the “breakthroughs are in the obstacles.”
- How virtual reality has become anti-social and people prefer ACTUAL reality.
- How when I was going through my own reinvention and new “reality” over 18 months ago, I was SCARED AS HELL to talk about it!
- Confronting my own addiction to being busy and how dependent I was on constant feedback.
- How A LOT of entrepreneurs I talk to go through the same exact thing because they’re not “busy being busy.”
- How as an entrepreneur with an admittedly big ego, my assumption and fear was, “I don’t want to talk about something until I fix it first, because who’s going to want to work with me if I’m not the guy with all the answers?”
- How I finally figured out that the more raw and authentic you are, as you’re going through the process as an imperfect being, the more attractive and real you are to your audience.
- How as soon as I broke through my fear and started talking about it publicly, SO many people came to me saying, “Hey, I’m going through that too. Can you help me?”
- Dan’s evolution, never-ending growth, and learnings over his 40+-year career as a top level coach!
So what are some other important takeaways from this episode?
- As we evolve as humans and entrepreneurs, we take for granted our accumulated wisdom and forsake our past. Therefore, we often SEVERELY undercharge for our services even though our accumulated wisdom has a tremendous amount of value.
- We all get exactly who we deserve as customers based on our own perception of ourselves and our filters. Don’t let your own ego or unwillingness to ask for your true value and worth get in your way.
- A huge part of being an effective advisor or coach is listening, asking a lot of questions, and crafting incredible stories.
- Becoming a great storyteller is an exercise in COMPASSION and EMPATHY.
- It doesn’t matter your age or where you’re starting, if you’re an ambitious game changer, you can choose to be a hero to your clients for the next 25 years and beyond, but know WHO you want to be a hero to.
- My 2%, real business exercise. (This one’s a little scary for entrepreneurs but a total GAME CHANGER.)
As usual, there’s always MORE. Dan and I LOVE elevating and amplifying your life!